Sunday, August 22, 2010

Come on, Guinea Girl!

For the first time in a month, I got a good Guinea hen egg!

Saturday's Guinea Girl egg

For some unknown reason, my Guinea Girl has been laying eggs with weak spots that somehow get a hole in the bottom side.  I mused about it online back on Aug 1st.  The shell is thin on the bottom and it breaks after she lays it.  She is provided plenty of oyster shells, and the rest of the egg is hard as a rock, other than the thin spot in the shell. 

But now, maybe, just maybe, this trend is going away.  Friday she laid a good egg, no thin-shell, and Saturday, too, she laid a good egg.  The egg does has a white area in the shell color, but I'm ok with that, as long as it doesn't break before it hits the frying pan!

Is it bad for me to be talking about guinea eggs and frying pans in the same sentence?

Keep up the good work, Guinea Girl!

6 comments:

Chai Chai said...

What do you use the Guinea eggs for?

Razzberry Corner said...

Chai Chai - I use the guinea eggs just like regular chickens eggs - scrambled for breakfast, I cook with them, etc. The only way I don't like them is hard boiled, although my husband likes them hard boiled. I notice they taste different that way.

~Lynn

Dog Trot Farm said...

Man alive the "foul" in our lives certainly like to keep us on our toes. I think our chicken/guineas secretly like to see us hauling out the foul library, perusing the internet and practically pulling our hair out over their "egg issues" I'm sure if I quietly tiptoed to the hen house, I'd find my girl's all in the corner having a good old laugh at my expense!

Razzberry Corner said...

Julie - Yep, they like to keep me guessing. I've given up on trying to figure out about the guinea eggs, I'm just happy that she's given us 2 good eggs this month! Can't complain!

~Lynn

Leigh said...

What a relief to have that problem resolving. Critters can do the most curious things sometimes.

The Chicken Keepers said...

Neat blog! I am going to become a follower and add you to my blog roll. I want some guineas so bad. I wish I could find some cheap baby guineas.

The Chicken Keepers
thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com