Saturday, June 29, 2013

Little Deer

I'm back!  I was gone for the past three weeks on travel for my work.  I have the best job in the world and go to the most amazing places.  However, during my travels this blog sits empty, making it appear as if nothing is going on at Razzberry Corner.  Quite the contrary - there's always so much going on at the farm!

While I was gone a baby deer moved to Razzberry Corner. 



She appears to be a late baby from last year.  Her mother was either killed during the winter hunting season, or the mama doe has pushed this baby away because she has new babies.  Normally I see last year babies still hanging with pregnant does.  After the doe gives birth she forces the yearling child away for a few weeks, maybe a month, and eventually the yearling is allowed to join back up with the doe and the new twins.  Our whitetail deer give birth to a single baby their first year, then after they usually have twins.

Now that I mention it, there is a doe with twins hanging out in our backyard.  Maybe she is this one's mama, and she doesn't want this yearling near new newborns.  The twins are tiny and spotted still.  I'll try to get some photos of them!


Little Deer hangs out around the house.  Every day she comes to the guinea feed area and chows down on feed that we provide the guineas.   The guineas don't mind her too much, the chickens don't mind her, nor do the outside cats mind her.  I guess she has become part of the family.




Here come a couple guineas to claim their feed!


The guineas won this disagreement and claimed their feed.


"You stay away from MY food!" says Mr. Guinea.


The guineas seem to win every disagreement, except those involving fox or owls.  They are brave birds.  I've seem them face off cats, woodchucks, deer, fox, cars, me, snakes, mice, you name it.  I'm always afraid I'm going to run over them with the car, as they chase cars and run in front of them.  So far they've survived the face off with cars.  


See you tomorrow, Little Deer.  May you grow up big and strong.


I have some interesting information about our guineas.  I will post it next time!


4 comments:

Country Girl said...

Welcome home Sister!

Gail said...

Healthy looking baby.

Farm Girl said...

She is a very pretty girl.
So glad you are home now and had a nice trip.

Knatolee said...

What a beautiful deer! I liked the interaction between her and the guineas!