Friday, April 8, 2011

Guinea Eggs

Our guinea hens have been giving us 3 or 4 eggs every day recently.  We believe we have 4 female guineas, so that's pretty good!  We have 4 males, too.

The Easter egg trick is still working, so they haven't moved their nests in a few weeks.  The only bad thing is that one nest is deep in a wild rose bush on the side of a hill.  I get scratched up every time I collect eggs!

And so, for now, we are enjoying their eggs.  Later this year we will hatch out some keets.




You can hear their "Buck-Wheat!" calls in the background in this video.  The one calling is a female which is laying an egg in the rose bush as this video was taken.  At least one of our guinea girls is very loud when she lays.  I gave the guineas some cracked corn, which is one of their favorite treats, and one is enjoying it. 



Thank you guinea girls!

5 comments:

Chai Chai said...

Do they stop laying in the Spring or do they lay through Fall?

Razzberry Corner said...

Chai Chai, I believe they lay right thru the summer, till autumn.

Terry said...

Those are very pretty eggs!

Unknown said...

I really love the sound the guinea's make, I hope to have some again someday whenever I get to where I am going. I never had hens though so I have never eaten those eggs, do they taste different? My duck eggs used to have a very different flavor than chicken egss.
Very cool!

Razzberry Corner said...

Terry - I love the spots on the guinea eggs! They are unique! And each guinea hen's eggs are a little different looking than the next. We are starting to figure out which guinea lays which specific eggs.

Laura - I hope you can have guineas again soon! And I hope you get some hens! Yes, I do notice a difference in the taste of their eggs. Different than chicken eggs, but I don't know how to describe it. I don't like them hard boiled. I usually scramble them and then I don't really notice a difference. I have never had a duck egg!

~Lynn