Sunday, March 28, 2010

Garden Planting

We started working on the garden last week.  Well, actually before last week we started planning the new and improved 2010 garden.  Here's our plan... 

We decided to make the garden bigger than it was last year ~ it was too crammed packed last year.  We needed more room.  Yes, I understand that a larger garden means more weeding will be needed ~ please make sure to remind me that I chose a bigger garden later this year when the weeding is driving me nuts...

We moved back the chain link fence which enclosed the garden last year, and decided to use part of the existing backyard wooden fence as our garden deer barrier this year.  The wooden fence is not rabbit or small animal proof, but we don't have any problems with rabbits ~ there are many fox in this area which keep the rabbit population in check.  And I don't think all our woodchucks will eat our vegetables (they seem to only like clover and grass).  We have raccoons and opossums and skunks, too, all of which will have access to the garden now...hopefully they will not be an issue.


Randy dug up the garden earth with the tractor first, just to mix up the dirt and making the tilling easy. We dug up all sorts of cool and interesting items - pottery, toys, glass, metal pipe, buried hose, and two more horseshoes. Last year we also dug up a horseshoe in the old garden area.  So now we have three old horseshoes. Are they supposed to bring luck? Hopefully this means our garden will do twice as well as last year!





Next we tilled the garden with the rototiller and the hoe. While we were hoeing I brought in some of the hens to assist with "worm control".  I really just wanted the hens to enjoy the fresh dirt.  The hens had a great time digging up and eating earthworms.




On the right are Little Danni and Chloe.  Below is Lucy, our friendliest hen.  Lucy was constantly in the way, diving in to get worms before the hoe left the dirt. She thought we were out there digging just for her. 



Eventually we got the garden all planted before dinner Saturday night. We planted many varieties of peas, beans, cucumbers, squash, carrots and cantaloupes.  Last year our best veggie was the squash ~ we had yellow squash, dark black squash, spaghetti squash, and green zucchinis.  I ate more squash than I've ever eaten in a season, and still had so much to give away.  Last year we didn't plant peas, carrots, or cantaloupe.  We'll see what does best this year. 
Tomorrow it's supposed to rain here and water our new garden. We still plan on planting corn, asparagus, tomatoes, potatoes and pumpkin, but they are not going in this fenced garden this year, they will be planted elsewhere on the property.  Now we watch and wait.

12 comments:

Texan said...

We are expanding our garden as well... so we can both remind each other when weeding time comes LOL...

Squash always do so well, and many varieties will keep for months and months... how can you not love that!

Toni aka irishlas said...

We, too have expanded the garden this year. We added a 40' x 40' area of raised beds.
As far as weeds are concerned - I love to weed. It's so cerebral to me, but then, I'm an odd bird!

Leigh said...

Ditto for us, bigger garden. I do try though, to lay on the mulch pretty early, and that really helps with weeding when it gets hotter out. Still, it can't be eliminated entirely!

Robin said...

How nice! I feel jealous that you have so many things in your garden already. I've been dieing to go out and work in ours but it won't stop raining. GRRRRR

AJ-OAKS said...

That is so exciting about your garden. :) Gee, I wonder what other treasure you will find! And how nice of your girlies to help you with bug control. Such thoughtful ladies!

Razzberry Corner said...

Texan - Yes, we'll have to remind each other when it's weeding time! :)

Toni aka irishlas - I wish I loved to weed, it is relaxing, but not fun to me!!

Leigh - I remember weeding last year when it was very hot out. It wasn't fun to me!

Robin - yes, Oregon has the rain, that's for sure! Right now we are in the middle of 2 days of rain, then it's going to be very nice & warm - can't wait!!!!

Cindy - Every year we find treasures in the garden! :)

~Lynn

Cattle Call Farm said...

Good luck in your garden. I haven't even got to start mine yet. It has really been wet here, but it is supposed to dry up this week.

Country Girl said...

What a great garden you will have! We will have to come visit when the zucchini is ready! I will make you some relish! This year our relish was more green tomatoes than zucchini! Remember- asparagus doesn't bear the first year. It takes 2 years. But it's great when you get some!!

DayPhoto said...

Around the primeter of your garden (all sides) plant pumkins. At the plants vine weave the vines together to form a barrier of pumkin vines (a hedge so to speak). Don't let the vine stray, just keep weaving them together. They are a natural barrie to all sorts of wild kritters. Your corn, melons, and other tasty items will not be touched.

I have always planted my garden in the field. A long way from the house and therefore a barking dog.

Nothing jumps the 'hedge' and I always have lots of corn and other yummies at the end of the year.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Razzberry Corner said...

Cattle Call Farm - I hope the rain stops long enough for you to plant! Good luck!

Barb - I read that asparagus takes 3 years!! It's a patient man's crop! But we have some that was here when we moved in, it's probably many, many, many years old. We harvested that last year, and now we've planted more. In a few years we'll have more asparagus than we know what to do with (hopefully!)

Linda - What a wonderful idea - to create a hedge! I will do that! Thank you!!! :)

~Lynn

Carla said...

Have you ever heard Garrison Keillor's take on zucchini?
" July is the only time of year when country people lock our cars in the church parking lot, so people won't put squash on the front seat."

Last year, I canned the most delicious sweet/hot squash, pepper and onion mix.

Razzberry Corner said...

CeeCee - Garrison Keillor's quote is right on target! And right now I'm going to start forcing eggs on church people, too! I'm tired of my fridge being full of egg cartons! I told the people at church today that starting next week, they better get ready for fresh eggs! :D
~Lynn