Saturday, March 20, 2010

Egg Cartons

We are getting ready for our egg sales business.  We already had quickly run out of egg cartons, so we ordered some online.  They just came in the mail yesterday.

 
There are alot of rules for egg cartons in Maryland.  Such as the word "Eggs" and the quantitiy must be displayed, the grade and egg size must be listed, the egg safe handling instructions must be printed on the carton in bold capital letters in a box.  The farm name and address must be on the carton.  The registration number and lot designation of the eggs must be listed on the carton.  And everything has specific font sizes.

To make this less complicated, we ordered pre-printed egg cartons from eggboxes.com.  They were the cheapest we could find online at the time.  We will still have to put specific data on the cartons, such as our name and address, and the egg size and grade, and the lot number and registration number.  But most of it is done for us.  Simple.  Sort of.

Fresh eggs, anyone???

4 comments:

AJ-OAKS said...

Um, to sell your eggs you have to provide everything except the name of the hen that laid them! Are you going to sell in a store or just to folks that stop by? Around here there are egg signs popping up everywhere by people's driveways. Eggs-Farm Fresh-$2.50 per dozen is the usual sign you see. I think it is cool to actually have your farm name on the cartons. I buy my cartons at the local feed store for .30 cents a piece. But I give the extra dozens either to my oldest daughter and she can pass them to her friends if wanted. But I am going to put our farm name on them just because.

Razzberry Corner said...

Hey Cindy, I'm thinking that I'm going to ask in the local "general store" if I can sell my eggs there. My pre-printed cartons cost .26 cents each online. We compared prices at many places. Right now I'm just selling to friends & coworkers. Plus my eggs are SMALL- 18oz for a dozen (not counting the weight of the carton). Everyone that buys them comments on how small they are. :( I sell them for $2/doz.
~Lynn

Robin said...

Tell them not to worry as they will get bigger. :D That is cool that you are on your way to selling them.

Gerhard said...

Here in Georgia you need the labels and the certified candler and all that, plus the first, middle and last name of the hen as well as her blood type, EXCEPT if people come by the farm and buy it on-site. As long as it's sold on the farm it seems, all those rules are waived. I give them to my daughter on the farm to give to her friends. Some of them pay me. That's good enough for me. I know all the excuses about health and lawsuits and I STILL think the rules are only to keep families out of the market.