Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Backyard Walk

This afternoon I had a couple minutes to spare, so I decided to take a walk in my backyard.  Come walk with me.

I have a big backyard. The sun was getting low, the temperature was perfect - a little cool, but not cold. First I walked by the garden and took a peek at the dirt where the seeds were planted less than a week ago. Nope, nothing growing yet. Then I walked around the old barn and took this picture facing into the sun.   


I continued to walk deeper into the woods behind our house.  As I walked through the woods I actually found a skull and crossbones!  From a deer.  There were other bones, too.  A deer had laid down here to breathe it's last breath long ago.  I left the bones undisturbed.


I walked past the old hay rake my husband and I discovered last year.  We had found it buried under vines when we were clearing the property.  When we discovered it, the vines were so thick we actually didn't know the hay rake was there.  We were cleaning up the vines, trying to make some sense of the chaos back then.  This property was an old farm many years ago.  This place has a lot of history ~ I love thinking about it.


As I walked in the woods I saw these seeds from a sweet gum tree which always have made me smile, even though I don't like them.  I always have called these seed pods "gumballs" since I was a child.  I don't like them because they hurt to walk on when barefoot (not that I was barefoot today!!).



I walked past an old gate on our property.  it's complete with a rusty chain and a padlock ~ for which we have no key.  It goes nowhere.  It's just a wooden gate on an old fence which is partially fallen over.  Behind this gate are several fallen trees.  We have quite a few gates that go no where on the property.  I guess at one time the gates used to lead to something...









As I walked back, I passed by the old barn again and took this picture.  This barn used to be the home to horses back in it's day.  Now it's just a memory of happy farm days.  Many birds make homes in it's rafters.

Before I knew it, I was back at the backdoor and my walk was over.  Springtime walks are always too short!


Thanks for the company!

13 comments:

Spring Lake Farm said...

Such pretty pictures and a rich history. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy

Country Girl said...

It looks like it was a nice day for a walk. The next few days promise to be beautiful. I plan to take some walks also. Enjoy the Spring.

AJ-OAKS said...

Thanks for the walk. It is beautiful there. And the history has me fascinated. I can almost hear the sounds from yesteryear just from the pictures. And your wording is so vivid. Are you going to take us on another walk? hint hint

Leigh said...

Lynn, you have a wonderful back yard. Thanks so much for sharing. Beautiful photography, too.

Robin said...

So pretty. You can tell spring is coming in at your place with the green grass coming up. It always looks so peaceful in your pictures.

Genny said...

What wonderful walking places you have. Your farm is just beautiful. I love thinking about the history and the hidden treasures you found there too. The hayrake is a treasure.

Razzberry Corner said...

Spring Lake Farm - You are welcome!

Barb - The weather is FINALLY perfect! I can't believe not too long ago we have 4 feet of snow!

Cindy - Now that spring is here I'll be hosting lots of outings!! :) I love to be outside!

Leigh - Thank you!

Robin - That's what I love about our property - it is SOOO peaceful and quiet sometimes. We even ate dinner outside on the backyard table tonight and enjoyed the quiet with only the bird noises. I sometimes really cannot believe we are 20 miles from Wash DC !!

Genny - Today I found another old farm "tool" out under the bushes, I'm not sure what it is. A small farm plow that someone walks behind, I think. I'm going to have to research it before I post about it! Such hidden treasures are just waiting to be discovered!

~Lynn

Danni said...

I love the history that you are constantly uncovering on your property...that old hay rake is amazing. We uncover history on our property, too, though it's usually in the form of old beer cans. lol
Though we did, like you, find an old rusty horseshoe (complete with nails still protruding) the other day!
Fun walk :-)

Carla said...

What a wonderful place to live! So beautiful!

As to the Sweetgum tree and it's balls---do you ever wonder how they got to be so prolific? I mean, whoever said, "Hey, I really like this tree and these pokey things it puts off every year. Lets plant some more. Let's make they available at plant nurseries so other people can plant them too."

John Going Gently said...

what a lovely place to live......and thank you for visiting my blog.........
john (wales)

Razzberry Corner said...

Danni- We find lots of cans & beer bottles on our property, too!

CeeCee - That's funny! Does anyone actually buy sweet gum trees at nurseries? Who would want those pokey things?

John Gray - You are welcome! I love your Going Gently blog!

~Lynn

Knatolee said...

Thank you for the beautiful walk!

Tina said...

Wow really love your backyard.