About 15 years ago I went on a fruit and veggie diet and lost 20 pounds, and I thought I'd try it again, and this time document it.
Starting weight ~ 135 pounds
I'm 5 foot 2 inches and at the start of this diet was 135 lbs. On a short frame like mine, 135 is uncomfortable. I had eaten a lot of sweets over the winter and put on 10 lbs and my clothes were getting tight. There was no way I was going to buy larger clothes for summer! And worse yet, I was gaining on average a pound a day, and it didn't look like the weight gain was stopping anytime soon.
I wanted to eat mainly fruit and vegetables, and cut out pasta and bread and my personal weakness, sugar. I planned on dieting till I got to my goal weight of 115 lbs, however long it took. I wanted my clothes to fit comfortably, and I wanted to tone my muscles for summer.
One of my pet peeves is that I don't think people eat enough fruit and veggies. There's too much junk food, fast food, available, and it's convenient, as we all are busy. I think we'd all be healthier if we ate a whole lot more fresh fruit and veggies and less processed food.
I should mention that I consider myself active. When I'm home alone I usually never sit down, unless I'm at the computer. There's always chores to be done around the farm. I also work out at the gym and at home, I like to work out. However, I have a desk job during the day, and am recovering from "golfer's elbow", which has slowed me town tremendously from what I used to be. During this diet I exercised every day between 4 and 5pm. I would run or walk, do the stairclimber machine at the gym, or the elliptical. Also I worked out abdominals every morning at 5:00am for 15 minutes.
This blog is to document my experience on my fruit and veggie diet. I ate a fresh fruit or veggie approximately every hour. This included apples, bananas, grapefruits, orange, tangerines, avocados, kiwis, celery, raw green peppers, green beans, broccoli, summer squash, strawberries, blueberries, and others.
Week One Notes
1. About every hour I was eating something. And I was starving all the time. It was really hard to deal with never feeling full.
2. Man, did I crave sugar! I couldn't handle no sugar! In the beginning of the week, I allowed myself one small sugar treat, like a Tastycake cupcake, or a cookie in the afternoon. Halfway through the week I changed that sugar treat to a piece of fruit, like an apple or a banana.
3. After the afternoon workout I was starving and usually immediately ate an apple or pear or banana.
4. About every other night I cheated and had a small portion of protein, such as chicken or fish or lean beef. Mostly fish. No potatoes, though.
5. I drink 3 diet sodas a day and plenty of water, and that's it.
Week one weight loss was 5 pounds. Yeah!
Ending weight after 7 days ~ 130 pounds ~ lost 5 pounds!
This post is getting long, stay tuned for week 2 tomorrow. I experienced a surprise during this diet that's worth reading.