Saturday, November 19, 2011

New Eggs and Time to Say GoodNight Mister!

First of all, just wanted to share a dozen eggs.

Aren't they pretty?  I'm so proud of them!  The two Cuckoo Maran pullets just started laying little dark brown eggs.  We are almost positive all 4 Rhode Island Reds that we chose as chicks this summer are now young roosters.  No eggs from them! :(  They are submissive roosters so far, they haven't been hurting any hens nor fighting with the primary 2 flock roosters.  All it takes is a peck from one of our smallest bantam hens and those giant RIR boys go running and screaming away.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And look - who's this???
This is one of our woodchuck boys.  He's grabbing a last-minute snack!
I don't know why we always have male woodchucks living around our house.  No females.  Which is fine with us - no babies!  The woodchucks enjoy eating every flower I ever plant and love to eat my garden before it grows.


I took these pictures on Nov 13, 2011 - he was in my backyard.
By now this little boy is fast asleep down underground in his home.
Stay warm down there, Little Chuck

3 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Gorgeous eggs, we've had our "chicks" since May and two are now laying. I get a thrill every time Ken brings in our two a day (so far only two are laying). Can you tell it's our first time at raising chickens?

And thanks for the picture of the Woodchuck . . . I've never seen one before. They're pretty cute, however I wouldn't like them scarfing down my garden.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Beautiful eggs, the thrill of gathering eggs here at Dog Trot Farm is just as exciting as day one. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, blessings from Maine, Julie.

Leigh said...

Love the egg shot. We have woodchucks too. How do you know your's are all male?