Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bee Attack!

Today's Saturday, the day to clean and do chores and run errands and get everything done that doesn't get done during the week.  And Springtime is here, the bugs and the bees have arrived.  I suddenly have watery eyes, I assume it's an allergy to pollen or flowers or something, even though my allergist tells me I have NO ALLERGIES whatsoever.  Whatever, I've been taking Zytec and my eyes are not crying uncontrollably all the time. 

Stinkbug

This morning while brushing my teeth in the bathroom, with my eyes closed, I heard a buzzing.  I assumed it was an annoying little stinkbug.  We've been plagued by stinkbugs for the past few years, I'm always vacuuming them up off the floors.  They're not scary, just annoying.  I really hate it when they fly into my face.  They Stink!  They make me grumble and curse the old house.  I have no idea how they get into the old house, but they are everywhere.  First this morning Randy saw Bob, the cat, eating a stinkbug.  Bob's not too smart. 

camel cricket


Anyway, back to the story...I was in the bathroom, leaning over the sink, toothbrush in mouth, I open my eyes, and inches away from my face is the largest bumblebee I've ever seen.  I semi-scream, choke on toothpaste, and run out of the bathroom.  Ok, ok, it was probably a carpenter bee, they don't sting, but it doesn't matter.  There was a monster, fat, black creature walking inches from my face.  It was as big as my fingers are long.  Bees are my weakness.  I don't mind snakes, lizards, crickets, even camel crickets.  I've gotten used to spiders and mice, but bees - no.  I hate them.  I hate that they fly.  I hate that they sting.  They scare me because I can't do either of those things.

Carpenter bees


I hightailed it out of the bee room, closing the door behind me, finished brushing my teeth in another bathroom, and then braved a return.  Sadly, I left my iPod playing an audiobook in the bee-room, and my mouthwash bottle was in there, too.  So, I armed myself with a towel, and opened the door.  The monster bee was flying all around the room.  Goodness, maybe there was more than one?  I quickly closed the door again.  I wasn't ready for flying monster bees, I expected them to be stationary.  I gathered my strength, readied the towel in front of me, and opened the door again.  Silence.  No bees.  I entered the room.  Nothing, no bees, no wings buzzing, only the iPod playing the audiobook.  It was like the scary part of a horror movie before the monster attacks the person.  I grabbed the iPod, turned it off, shoved it in my pocket, and looked around.  Nothing.  I couldn't find a bee anywhere.  Hmmm.  I know it's in there.  I grabbed the mouthwash bottle and left the room, closing the door and turning out the light behind me.

I planned on cleaning that bathroom this morning.  Maybe I'll save that chore till last today...  

9 comments:

JosephAlsarraf said...

LOL! I haven't seen a stinkbug in awhile, there used to be alot of them around where I live. Sorry about the bee attack. I know how that feels my whole room was once attacked by a swarm of bees. My whole floor of my room was littered with them. : )

Farm Girl said...

Don't you just love spring? We have these things that are called sun spiders or vingerroons. It depends on who you talk too, sometimes wind scorpions. Anyway, they start coming in the house in April. You don't walk through the house in bare feet.
They come chasing after you and go for your toes. Creepiest things. But our cats love to fight them, so it provides hours of entertainment for them.
Maybe you should have sent your cats in to take care of the bee.
I think I would have freaked out to have a bumblebee in my sink.

Dog Trot Farm said...

I too have been bombarded by stink bugs all winter, my thought was they were coming in with the firewood. We here in Maine have had a week of hot weather, no firewood brought in, no stink bugs. Before you take a swig of your mouth wash, make sure it is bee free! Enjoy the weekend, Julie.

LindaG said...

I despise all bugs and creepy crawlies. I feel for you.
*hugs* and Good luck!

Country Girl said...

I can remember when you were a little girl and Tom had the honey bees. I don't remember you being afraid of them then! But I do remember in recent years that you do dislike them with a passion, like when one gets into the car!

Razzberry Corner said...

JA - Now that is a scene from a horor movie! :)

Farm Girl - I remember looking up your sun spiders last year. I think they are truly the creepiest things ever. And even worse is that fact that they HUNT you down!

Julie - Once Randy was outside with a soda can and got a wasp sting on his tongue!!! It was one of those wasps that sting over and over again. He wasn't happy, his tongue all swelled up...

LindaG - Thanks for the hug!! :)

Barb - I'm not afraid of honey bees. I loved Tom's bees and Randy and I have considered getting honeybees. They are not mean, and they are so small. But then, a wasp is small, but it's pretty mean...

~Lynn

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I cracked up reading this post! But at the same time I was right there with you freaking out! Forget cleaning the bathroom ... go sit on the couch, feet up, and listen to your book!

Knatolee said...

Ah, poor Lynn! I love bumblebees. Wish I could have been there to rescue you! LOL

We had a lot of stinkbugs last year too. In fact I found one in my bathroom the other day. What the hell!?!!

Chai Chai said...

No bee? It must have crawled back into its nest that its colony has established in your bathroom!